At first we will talk about some items which we must know about diarrhea.
What is diarrhea mean?
Diarrhea in cats is defined as the passage of the feces with excess amount of water (watery) lead to increase in liquidity and weight of stool. The cat poop in normal is well-formed brown color, if any difference appear on it you should call the veterinarian. Diarrhea is one of the most common problems in cats, which the veterinarian deal with daily in vet clinic. Diarrhea is a symptom of many diseases not a disease itself, so, we should know the causative agent of diarrhea. Bloody diarrhea is the presence of blood in cat poop, it is considered symptom for other diseases either infectious, or systematic diseases.
What can we do in case of finding blood in cat poop diarrhea?
You must be worried if you find diarrhea with blood and mucus.
There are two types of blood in cat poop, according to the place which the blood comes from.
- The first type is bright red color blood, which called Hematochezia, it comes from the lower intestine (especially colon or rectum. Hematochezia causes include rectal injuries, parasites, feline Panleuchopenia, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis and change in cat’s routine.
- Black or dark red color blood is the second type which called (Melena). It is difficult to be detected due to its dark color, the blood comes from the intestinal tract. The causes of Melena are tumors, cancer, licking of bloody wounds, post surgery as an indication of internal bleeding.
So if blood is found in cat poop, cat should be taken to the veterinarian for accurate diagnosis and detection of the causative agent.
How does the veterinarian deal with a case of blood and mucus in cat stool?
- At first, case history should be taken from the owner, a description of the blood (its color, blood amount, onset time of bloody poop), and any other associated symptoms.
- Physical examination of diseased cat and rectal examination.
- CBC (complete blood count).
- Biochemical profile.
- Urine analysis.
- Fecal examination: examined feces should be fresher, not more than two hours of sample collection or refrigerated for 72 hours, feces examined for presence of parasites or bacteria.
- Radiography and ultrasound. : For examination of any abnormalities in intestine and gastrointestinal tract.
- Endoscopy: examination of the intestine by using small camera pass through the mouth or anus In case of tumors or inflammatory Powel disease.
What are the causes that make blood in cat poop?
- Parasitic causes as Giardiasis, and Trichomoniasis.
- Inflammatory Powel disease.
- Anatomic mechanical causes.
- Infectious causes as feline panleuchopenia, Rota virus and hemorrhagic calci virus.
- Ingestion of foreign bodies as bones or hard objects which make injury in intestine or intestinal tract .
- Nutritional causes as dietary changes or food intolerance.
All the above may cause bloody poop, but the veterinarian can detect any of them is the accurate cause, so it is very important for fast and full recovery of your cat to visit the veterinarian who can help the case and give it the suitable medication for relief.
What are the steps needed for treatment blood in cat poop?
- Most cases of bloody poop have a full recovery and good health after treatment and good home care.
- In case of severe cases cat should be treated in veterinary clinic as it needs care for 24 hours.
- Home care is very important as the owner should follow the veterinarian recommendation about the drugs, diet and body care, it is considered a main factor of recovery.
- Some items should be taken into consideration before treatment as the causative agent , associated symptoms with bloody diarrhea , onset of blood , duration and severity of blood in cat poop and degree of dehydration.
- Fluid therapy should be administrated for saving body fluid balance and dehydration prevention.
- Using deworming and Anthelmintic drugs In case of parasites which appear in Fecal examination.
- Administration of Antibiotics if bacterial infections are found.
- Diet control and gradually change in diet.
- Avoidance of irritant dietary elements if food sensitivity is founded.
Cats will require full recovery and good health in a short time if a good home care and accurate medication are administrated.
- Cats Protection,“Digestive disorders –vomiting and diarrhoea”.
- Care Credit, “What causes kitten diarrhea”.
- Veterinary Medicine,“How to manage feline chronic diarrhea”.
- Catster, “Blood in Cat Poop — What Causes It and What You Should Do About It ”.
- WebMD, “The Scoop on Cat Poop”.
- Wag Walking, “Pooping Blood In Cats”.
- Love To Know, “What to Do if Your Cat Has Bloody Stools”.